best VPN for international travel
When traveling into a foreign country, one of the most major problems is that your personal information, such as passwords, and files may be exposed to the public because, you rely on public Wi-Fi networks, which are one of the easiest ways for hackers to gain access to your devices.
Additionally, some websites and internet services may be prohibited, your favorite Netflix TV show may not be available in that country, or scheduling a ticket from that particular destination may be more expensive.
Actually, all of these issues may be simply overcome by using a VPN (Virtual Private Network), which allows you to connect to a separate server from various locations.
No worries; in this piece, I’ve explained why you should use a VPN when traveling to a new country or region, as well as how to choose the ideal one for you based on your selecting the location.
Your traffic is exposed while you visit the web. While many risks are not visible to the naked eye, they do exist. Third parties, such as your internet service provider, government agencies, and law enforcement agencies, can readily monitor your data.
Worse, insecure networks can allow hackers to intercept and steal your data. However, a VPN can assist you in this situation.
What is VPN (Virtual private network)
A virtual private network is a term that refers to a network that is not publicly accessible. It’s an important privacy tool that encrypts your data and hides your IP address. As a result, your traffic is no longer visible to snoopers and hackers but instead is protected by complicated encryption methods that snoopers and hackers cannot decode.
Checking your IP address might readily reveal your location. This difficulty is readily solved with a VPN. It alters your IP and redirects your traffic through a remote server. As a result, anyone looking at your IP will see the remote server’s address rather than your own.
Why you need a VPN for travel
When traveling, there are various reasons to use a VPN:
1 – To keep your data protected from hackers, especially when using public Wi-Fi.
When traveling overseas, you are constantly connecting to public networks, whether from your hotel or a cafeteria, which is particularly risky because it implies that all of your sensitive data, such as passwords and credit cards, may be accessed by unscrupulous individuals.
Because public networks aren’t always secure, it’s one of the most common ways for hackers to steal other people’s information. Your data will be instantly encrypted when you connect to a VPN, making it difficult for a hacker to steal it.
The most compelling argument to utilize a VPN while traveling should be this.
2 – To gain access to websites that have been blocked
You should be aware that the internet is restricted in countries such as China, the United Arab Emirates, Iran, and Oman, and that popular websites and services such as Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Skype, and others may be blocked.
If they’re blocked, the only way to access them while visiting these countries is to use a VPN, which allows you to connect to any nation you want.
You will be able to access Facebook if you connect to a server in London, for example, because Facebook is not blocked in the United Kingdom.
3 – To gain access to content particular to your home country
As you may be aware, the internet user experience differs greatly depending on the country.
If you search in the Philippines, the results will be different from if you search in the United States. Furthermore, the content available on Netflix or HBO in Thailand differs significantly from that available in the United States, so you may not be able to view the most recent TV show to which you became obsessed. You should also be aware that you can only view HBO in the country where you have a subscription, so if you have a UK account and travel to Mexico, you will be unable to watch it.
The best VPNs for travel offer a huge number of countries to choose from, ensuring that you can connect from wherever you choose.
When you try to access HBO from a different location, this is what occurs.
4 – To obtain better discounts, such as lower-cost flights
Did you know that the price of a flight ticket varies based on the nation to which you are connecting? When looking for an airline ticket, it is a good idea to look at a few different options before making a decision.
5 – To avoid having your bank account frozen
When you try to access your online bank account from a foreign nation for security concerns, they may ask for additional verification steps or, in the worst-case situation, they may directly block your account, which is something you don’t want to happen while you’re traveling.
When I tried to access my PayPal account from Iran, it happened to me. It was instantly stopped, and because there is no PayPal customer service in Iran, I had to make an extremely expensive phone call to Spain to get access to it.
Which VPN should you pick?
When picking a VPN provider, there are a few major considerations to keep in mind:
- Choose a reliable VPN service that does not collect data and provides robust encryption. Free VPN services available, but many of them make money in other ways, such as collecting user data, selling it to third parties, or bombarding you with advertisements. It’s possible that some of them have inadequate infrastructure. So, rather of jeopardizing your privacy, it is advisable to spend a few dollars per month.
- Confirm if the service has a large number of server options. You’ll have a larger selection of IP addresses and locations to pick from in this situation. Furthermore, you will never have to deal with server overload because you will always have the option of switching to a different one.
- Additional security features, like as obfuscated servers, Double VPN, and others, should be included in a decent VPN to keep you safe in risky situations.
- A high level of customer service is essential. Nobody is flawless, and you may run into issues now and then, but a competent customer service representative will always be willing to assist you. As a result, check to see if the VPN provider offers excellent customer service that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It also conveys confidence and transparency.
best vpn for international travel
ExpressVPN is the ideal travel companion you could have because it will not only keep your most sensitive data safe but will also help you find the lowest airfares. You can connect to up to 2,000 servers in more than 100 countries, so getting a cheap plane and excursion tickets won’t be a problem.
When traveling on vacation, you need a stable and lightning-fast connection, as well as 24-hour customer assistance, which ExpressVPN can provide. You may rest certain that your information will not be logged or shared with other parties. Furthermore, they are one of the few VPNs with continuous access to geo-blocked services like Netflix.
Here are some of the reasons why ExpressVPN is the best VPN for budget travel:
- Bandwidth is limitless.
- Streaming speeds that are lightning quick
- Android TV (Box) with Fire TV compatibility
- Apps are available for all devices.
- Your streaming activity is hidden.
- There are no connection logs.
- There are no activity logs.
- Possibility of P2P
- Ping times that are only slightly influenced
- In Countries with strict censorship, ExpressVPN performs admirably.
- Encryption that meets military standards
- A large global server network
- Money-back guarantee for 30 days
- Excellent client service
- Guaranteed uptime of 99 percent
With their annual membership plan, ExpressVPN also offers a unique deal: get three months free and save 49%!
When it comes to a vacation VPN, another popular option is Surfshark. They offer 500 servers in 50 countries, as well as lightning-fast speeds that you will not be disappointed with. The most striking feature is that you can connect as many devices as you like at the same time.
Here are a few more reasons why they made our top list:
- Download speeds that are acceptable
- No logging is allowed.
- Bandwidth is limitless.
- Platform security is unrestricted
- Unlimited Switching Between Servers
- Netflix is supported by some servers.
- Encryption that is strong
- Torrenting is permitted.
CyberGhost is a wonderful option for VPN newcomers, with 3,000 servers in 58 countries. Beginners will appreciate the straightforward interface and 45-day money-back guarantee when signing up for their three-year subscription. You also have the benefit of having unlimited bandwidth and data, which is essential when traveling.
Here are some additional reasons why we think CyberGhost is a good choice:
- No Logs Policy is Strict
- High-speed travel
- Kill Switch that is activated automatically
- Up to 7 devices can be connected at the same time.
- Simple to use
- AES 256-bit encryption
- Traffic and bandwidth are both unlimited.
- Protocols OpenVPN, L2TP-IPsec, and PPTP
- Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and Router Apps
NordVPN is the fourth-best VPN service.
NordVPN is very concerned about the security of your connection. They retain no logs and offer double encryption to their customers, ensuring that your connection is twice as safe. You should have no issue finding better travel deals with over 5,000 servers around the world.
Here are some more compelling reasons to go with Nord:
- There are more than 5000 servers in 62 countries.
- Protection against IP Leaks
- VPN protection on two levels
- Up to 6 devices can be connected at the same time.
- Kill Switch that is activated automatically
- Money-back guarantee for 30 days
- It only takes a few minutes to set up and install.
- Customer service is available around the clock.
If you’re undecided about which VPN service to use, we strongly suggest ExpressVPN. It’s reasonably priced, and you receive a lot of features, as well as excellent privacy and security. It contains all of the following characteristics and is quite simple to use. All it takes is a single click – and you’re safe!
Express VPN is the fastest VPN for international travel.
- The cost for a month is $12.95 USD.
- 9.99 USD every month for 6 months
- For a year, the price is $8.32 USD every month.
ExpressVPN is the most expensive VPN on the market and the one that comes highly recommended for international travel.
It is exceptionally fast, extremely dependable, and delivers flawless double encryption, according to internet gurus, making it the safest VPN on the market.
It also allows you to connect to 3,000 servers in 160 cities across 94 countries.
I’ve tried a lot of VPNs, but as a long-term traveler and someone who works online, ExpressVPN is the one I’m currently using, especially because it’s so quick that I don’t even realize I’m connected to one.
Pros and Cons of Express VPN
- Quick streaming speeds and excellent customer service
- All major streaming sites, such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, are supported.
- To protect your online behavior, top-notch encryption, security, and privacy measures are enabled by default.
- Customer service is outstanding.
- A large server network is available.
- Price is slightly higher than other providers.
How to find the best VPN for traveling: My Thoughts
All of the VPNs we recommend have a proven track record of keeping customers’ personal information private. They don’t give in to unauthorized information requests from law enforcement and intelligence agencies, haven’t had any big data breaches, have strong and up-to-date security, and don’t keep track of your activities. However, because not all VPNs are reliable, we recommend that you stick with established services.